So, let's make tonight's dinner a warm and cozy one that's quick, easy, and super nutritious!
Introducing: Sweet Potato Quesadillas
1 medium sweet potato (cooked) or 1 15-oz can sweet potato (drained)
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 whole wheat tortillas, medium-sized
2 tablespoons tomato salsa
2 tablespoons green, red, or hot pepper (chopped)
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
Non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil
1. If using canned sweet potatoes, be sure to drain and rinse the potatoes in order to remove the sugar from the heavy syrup that it's packed in.
2. In a medium sized bowl or on a cutting board, mash the sweet potato with a fork.
3. In a bowl, mix the sweet potato and black beans. (Remember: if using canned black beans, be sure to rinse the beans the same way as the canned sweet potatoes.)
4. Add salsa and peppers and mix. Meanwhile, coat a medium sized pan or skillet with cooking spray or lightly rub with oil and place over medium heat.
5. Spread sweet potato filling on one tortilla. Add shredded cheese on top.
6. Cover the quesadilla with the other tortilla and slip the quesadilla onto the pre-heated pan or skillet.
7. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottom tortilla begins to crisp. With a wide spatula, turn the quesadilla over and cook for 2-3 minutes more until crisp.
8. Remove the quesadilla from the pan to a cutting board and slice into quarters.
Enjoy for a snack, lunch, dinner, or party platter. If you have excess filling leftover, use as a dip for tortilla chips and sliced vegetables.
The best part about this recipe is its nutrition and inexpensive cost! In just half of a quesadilla, you'll get 220% of your Percent Daily Value of Vitamin A which helps to keep your eyes and skin healthy as well as provide antioxidant properties. (There's that %DV again!) With its high fiber and protein content you'll stay fuller for longer too.
Cost per serving: $0.90
Yum! I hope you enjoy!
-The Blue Placemat